International Book Giving day happens on the 14th of February, which as you know is the same day as Valentines Day. I think its totally appropriate for it to fall on Valentines day because what better day to celebrate your love for books.
So why would you need to give out books?
Do you know that in the United Kingdom, One third of children do not own any or many books? I always find that fact hard to believe seen as we have a huge collection of over 300 books but unfortunately its true as not all children have accsess to them.
Books are so important for children. They aid creativity, developing the imagination, word recognition, helping speech development and not only that but reading together can create lovely bonding moments and also help a child relax.
With that in mind we are definitely going to be getting involved with International Book Giving Day on Wednesday to make sure some children get some new books. We have some great plans in mind and so head back here on the day to see a post about what we get up to.
- Give a book to a friend, or someone in the Family
- Give a book to your Nursery or School, or Local Playgroup
- Donate a book to a local hospital, doctors, or dentist
- Leave a book somewhere that a child could find it
- Make your own book that you can give to a friend to enjoy
- Donate to a shelter or charity organisations that collect items for people in poverty
- Get your own child a new book to enjoy
- Encourage other people to get involved by tweeting with the hashtag #BookGivingDay
If you do decide to get involved, don't forget to post on facebook, IG, or Tweet about what you get up to and also use the hashtag.
Also if you head to my Instagram @lilyslittlelearners on Wednesday the 14th then we shall be giving away a book in support of International Book Giving Day.
Do you plan to get involved? If so how?