One thing that was going to be a little tricky in this challenge was that we got all the ingredients given to us, but we had to estimate how much to use in the bake. One of the reasons that Smart Meters wanted us to tackle this challenge was to show how tricky it is to estimate. So why estimate?
So what are smart meters and what have they got to do with estimations?
Absolutely nothing! Smart Meters are new gas and electricity meters that are available to be placed into homes to get rid of silly estimations and give you accurate readings of what gas and electricity you would actually be using. They are able to send exact readings of what you are using to your supplier and so no longer would you be receiving that horrible estimated bill.
They show you the readings on portable hand held devices and this means you are now able to watch how much you are using and what you are using it on.
Here is a diagram of how a smart meter process works.
Everybody in England, Wales and Scotland will be offered the opportunity to upgrade to a Smart Meter by 2020, fitted by your supplier and at no additional cost to you. You will also be given a hand held device when it is all fitted.
So now to the baking challenge. How did it all go when it came to estimating?
We were briefed by Ian and put into teams of two. Our first challenge was to make chocolate and raspberry cupcakes. We were told that we had to estimate the amount of ingredients to use and also the amount of time we would need to bake them at.
It was great fun trying to guess how much to use but also quite tricky and without the exact ingredients written down, we found we were just guessing and then adding more if we needed to. We had no idea how our cupcakes would turn out.
Half way through our raspberry bake we had a slight disaster where the lid came off the vegetable oil and it nearly all went in. I guess thats one way to estimate...chuck it in and hope for the best.
We must have estimated quite well as they didn't come out to bad actually. I really enjoyed the taste. They were definetly edible and that was definetly a good result that I was more than happy with.
Our next challenge was to make cheese scones. This we found a lot tricker than the cupcakes and estimating was a lot harder as we didn't have a clue. We ended up starting completely wrong and didn't have enough flour in our mixture and it was all wet. Estimating was not working with these.
We got them in the oven with time running out and unfortunately they came out a little flat. What went wrong I'm not sure but we definetly had not put the right amount of something in there.
Luckily they actually tasted okay and I did eat them pretty much all later that night.
Overall the event gave me a very clear indication that estimating is not always the best way forward.
After the baking was over we went out of the kitchen and enjoyed some nice canapés (that I can only imagine they didn't estimate with) and discussed how we felt we did while the judges tucked into our bakes and decided a winner.
Unfortunately we didn't win but we also didn't come last place and so that was definetly something to be pleased with.
The event was great and I can't wait to try and bake the food again but this time with the amounts of what we need to us. I definetly won't be estimating again.
You can watch this great video to see us all in action.
I was invited by Smart Energy GB to participate in this challenge. All views and opinions are of my own experience. Some of the photographs was used with permission from O'connor Photography.